Like our life needs to be protected against the unwarned dangers, our assets too should be shielded from all kinds of damages that can happen to them. Unlike few centuries ago, nowadays one of the major assets of people is their vehicle. Automobiles especially cars are incredibly expensive these days and on the same hand there is a surge in the crime against the vehicles. This makes it mandatory for every person to get his/her vehicle insured and so secured.
Auto insurance thus is the ideal means to cover your vehicle against danger of accident, theft and other incurred losses. Auto insurance covers the insured party, insured vehicle as well as the third parties. Each item is covered under different circumstances specified by different polices. Besides this some auto insurance policies may additionally cover medical expenses, personal injury protection and no-fault insurance.
Auto insurance is becoming more and more popular day by day. As a result at present numerous insurance agencies are offering auto insurance and thus people find it easy to choose from different policy packages available.
However before choosing auto insurance policy there are several crucial things to be considered. Some of which are listed below:
1. Prior to purchasing an auto insurance policy get as many price quotes as possible from different companies. This can be done online, through visiting the agencies personally or through an agent. Always go with a company that is financially stable.
2. Always check the cost of insurance before purchasing a car or any other vehicle. The car’s sticker price, the cost to repair it, its safety record and chances of theft are the factors that comprise the car insurance premiums. The information regarding which car to buy can be acquired from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
3. Always make it a point to look for higher deductibles. Deductibles are the amount paid prior to implementation of the policy. High deductibles greatly lower the costs. But opt for higher deductibles only when you have enough money kept aside to pay it if you have a claim.
4. You must bear in mind the fact that the coverage of the car varies with its worth. So the coverage is less on older cars and more on a brand new car.
5. If you have more than one car, prefer taking its insurance from the same insurer or if the insurance agency that has insured your house also offers auto insurance, go with it only. This will not just be playing safe but you may also get some discount on the policies.
6. Always try to maintain a good credit record. This helps in fetching you a good insurance policy for most often insurers use the person’s credit information to rate auto insurance policies.
7. Draw the benefit of low mileage discounts. Some companies offer discounts to motorists who drive less than average or estimated number of miles per year.
8. You can also avail the facility of group insurance. Some companies offer discount to drivers who get insurance through a group plan.
9. Last but not the least before purchasing an auto insurance policy, keep one thing in mind that companies offer discounts to policyholders without any record of accidents or of disobedience of road rules etc.